How to Contribute
OpenML is an open source project, hosted on GitHub. We welcome everybody to help improve OpenML, and make it more useful for everyone.
We want to make machine learning and data analysis simple, accessible, collaborative and open with an optimal division of labour between computers and humans.
Want to get involved?¶
Awesome, we're happy to have you!
OpenML is dependent on the community. If you want to help, please email us (openmlHQ@googlegroups.com). If you feel already comfortable you can help by opening issues or make a pull request on GitHub. We also have regular workshops you can join (they are announced on openml.org).
Who are we?¶
We are a group of friendly people who are excited about open science and machine learning. A list of people currently involved can be found here.
We need help!¶
We are currently looking for help with:
- User feedback (best via GitHub issues, but email is also fine)
- Frontend / UX / Design of the website
- Backend / API
- Outreach / making OpenML better known (especially in non-ML-communities, where people have data but no analysis experise)
- Helping with the interfaces (Python, WEKA, MOA, RapidMiner, Java, R; find the links to GitHub repos here)
- Helping with documenting the interfaces or the API
- What could we do better to get new users started? Help us to figure out what is difficult to understand about OpenML. If you are a new user, you are the perfect person for this!
Check out the issues labeled Good first issue or help wanted (you need to be logged into GitHub to see these)
Change the world¶
If you have your own ideas on how you want to contribute, please get in touch! We are very friendly and open to new ideas
We have several communication channels set up for different purposes:
- Issues (members and users can complain)
- Request new features
Anyone with a GitHub account can write issues. We are happy if people get involved by writing issues, so don't be shy
Please post issues in the relevant issue tracker.
- OpenML Core - Web services and API
- Website - The (new) OpenML website
- Docs - The documentation pages
- Python API - The Python API
- R API - The OpenML R package
- Java API - The Java API and Java-based plugins
- Datasets - For issues about datasets
- Blog - The OpenML Blog
- Informal communication
We use slack for day to day discussions and news. If you want to join the OpenML slack chat, please message us (openmlHQ@googlegroups.com).
- Information on upcoming workshop
- Other major information
- Urgent or important issues
If you want to receive information on major news or upcoming events, sign up for the mailing list. There is a privat mailing list for OpenML core members which you can contact by sending an e-mail to openmlHQ@googlegroups.com.
- Publicly relevant information
- Open discussions
We use all contributors bot to add contributors to the repository README. You can check how to use this here. You can contribute in a lot of ways including code, blogs, content, design and talks. You can find the emoji key here .